Sunday, October 9, 2011

Alumni Letter Step 5: Final


Finishing at last!  In the last stage, I made quite a few edits.  I changed the color palette yet again to subtly fit a fall/ University of Minnesota theme.  I edited the curved lines to be a hybrid of straight and curvy and added additional illustrations to the back of the envelope.  Finally, I added a background color, gradients, and a noise texture for visual interest.  Below is the final digital file as well as two photos of the assembled and printed products. Although my design was not chosen, I am very pleased with the end result.  It's an interesting addition to my portfolio!

To see the winning design, please visit Bailey Sears' blog → GET IN MY BRAIN



5 comments:

  1. Great blogging, Kailene! I love the sense of process and your images that you included along the way. Including your process work as imagery for your visual headers is also interesting. Great work so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kailene!! I was really not feeling the orange and green color scheme in the earlier version so I was thrilled to see it changed a bit. The new one is very cute and has a nice autumn/UMN tone without hitting you over the head. I think the curved roads free up the design by adding a sense of movement. You should post a link to the color scheme site you are obsessed with so I can check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kailene, your final product is so awesome! The illustration style brings such a fun feeling to the display while the methodically mapped roadways show such a clear design process that is both easy to follow and unique. One thing that really stands out are your final color choices and the textural quality that you added. Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little delayed, but I was just browsing blogs and remember that I never told you how much I loved your design for the direct mail concept! I really appreciate your attention to detail in the illustrations, you are very talented. I think the theme is cohesive and cute with the "pave the way" slogan. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the blurred maroon behind some of the buildings, but it does add some depth. It also might have looked different in person. But on another positive note, your imagery and blogging methods are awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your letter and envelope design. You can really see all the attention to detail and effort you put into this design. All the tiny illustrations fit together really well to create the entire image and I think this would reflect well on the U of M as a school that puts effort into all the little stuff which creates an awesome final image.

    Also I love the headers you have for this string of blog posts. It looks like magazine clippings. Just very cool looking, handmade kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete